Sunday, July 19, 2015

Pro surfer fights off attacking shark

Mick Fanning, one of the world's top surfers, has been attacked by a shark during a televised
competition in South Africa.

The Australian emerged unharmed after punching the shark and swimming away from it, he said.

Video of the attack showed the shark's fin rising out of the water behind Fanning as he paddled on his board before taking his turn in the J-Bay Open event in Eastern Cape.

"I was just cruising, just waiting for my turn, my opportunity," said the 34-year-old, a triple world champion who was competing in the finals against fellow Australian Julian Wilson.

"I felt like I was just about to start moving, start paddling, get going again when all of a sudden I had this instinct there was someone behind me and all of a sudden I started getting pulled underwater.

"And then the thing came up.

"I was on my board and it was like right there and I saw the whole thing like thrashing around.

"I was getting dragged under by leg rope and then I felt like it kicked me off, but it was still there attached to my board.

"It felt like I punched it a couple of times and I felt like it was dragging me underwater and then my leg rope broke and I was like, 'Alright, just start swimming and swimming and swimming.'"

He recalled: "Swimming and screaming and shouting to Jules (Julian Wilson) to move."

Fanning was picked up by a jet ski after the attack and taken to shore.


Story and source: Sky

No comments:

Post a Comment