Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Modern Combat 3 for Android

My first game review on my blog!!

Having been playing a lot of "Freemium" games by Gameloft and Glu I found myself following them on Twitter.

Much to my luck I read Gameloft announcing they would be dropping the price of Modern Combat to 69p for one day only so I got it.



Firstly, the one player campaign is good solid fun. Gameloft have pulled out all the stops to make this a Modern Warfare clone and it works VERY well.

The second level doesn't fail to impress as you play a chopper gunner and even have a choice of thermal viewing and 3 different guns to play with.

The story is nothing ground breaking but for that of a mobile game is solid with great voice acting and unlike anything seen on mobiles.

Sometimes the game can be a little odd, like when sneaking through a village and your ally will shout out random warnings even when you haven't been detected, but I guess this is nothing that a patch can't fix.

That being said, the minor flaws I have experienced can be over looked because the rest of the game oozes quality.


The touch screen controls take a little getting used to (as with most mobile games) but if you own an Android device you are in luck!!

In my previous blog I wrote about the Sixaxis Controller App which, as long as you have root on your mobile and some time to map your controller it works beautifully with this game.

Here is a youtube video of it in action:



On top of the single player campaign, multiplayer is another area where this game shines.

This has to be without a doubt the best multiplayer I have played on a mobile device.

I think it has six maps, seven game modes, up to 12 players online, 100 ranks to level up, and like  Modern Warfare, each rank brinks perks, weapons and attachments.

This can be great fun to play with the only downside being that there are no playlists so you tend to get stuck on the same map a lot (Gameloft please take notice here as this would make the online mode amazing).

So to sum it all up:

Graphics: 9 - All round lovely graphics and effect.
Sound: 7 - A little buggy at times but genrally very good.
Lastability: 10 - Four difficulty modes and an epic multiplayer will make this one to last.

Overall: 8.5 - Slightly buggy sound and the lack of online playlists are the only things that drag this game down. Gameloft could easily patch these issues and if they do I will adjust my score accordingly.

Don't miss out on this game if you like mobile gaming.

Available on iOS and Android.

1 comment:

  1. Every time I want to play online, I get a "Connection lost" message. Other than that, the game is pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete