Thursday, February 27, 2014

What makes a 'great gamer'?

It's a question I have pondered a few times.

I mean how do you measure a great gamer from a bad gamer. For example I quite often sit at work and hear people saying, "My kill / death ratio is 2.6!!!!" Or, "I rage quit on some dick head to teach him a lesson."



Both examples of bad gamers in my opinion but to others they seem to laugh at the rage quit or sit in awe of the amazing k/d ratio.

Is it the person who plays one game like CoD of Fifa all day and is a master who is the great gamer? Is it trophy or achievement hunter who prides 100% in everything they do? Is it the lover of all games no matter what age group? Or is is simply a combination of all of these things?


I like to think I am a combination of all. While I don't generally get 100% in most of my games I generally do in the games I particularly love.

Fallout 3 for example. I poured over 200 hours into that game and loved and savoured every minute. I know someone who steamed through it in 30 odd hours and moved onto his next game.

For me that was a waste. There was so much to see and do.

The same can be said about GTA V. People tore through it in a few days boasting of 100%. But then what? It took me weeks to get 100% and I loved every minute. Still do when I pick it up even after I have finished it.

So am I a bad gamer because I take my time?

I guess it all comes down to the opinion of the individual.

I have completed the telltale games walking dead on both my ps3 and vita. Purely because I loved it. Not to mention the easy trophy list. But should the easy trophies look bad in my list?



I didn't play it for the trophies although these are a nice bonus. I played it on both because I was gripped. Every choice making want more and know the outcome. I applaud developers that create games like this.

Is it wrong as a 31 year old male to love knack, Lego games, lbp and tearaway?

To the average CoD fanatic they would probably shoot me in real life for that, but I can't help it.

I just love gaming. No matter what it is (unless its flappy birds!!! Arrgggghhh).

And then I found http://www.nerdtests.com/mq/take.php?id=1799

I took this test and was classed as a good gamer.

And that is good enough for me. Others may think I'm sad but as long as there are others that have the same mind set as me I'm a happy man!

No comments:

Post a Comment